Saturday, February 21, 2015

Lotus Blossom Hoop Wall Art

Here's another stampin' and stitchin' project for you, my friends.

The lotus blossoms are stamped with the Lotus Blossom stamp set from #StampinUp.
Sorry, but you can't buy this stamp set - it is free!
Yes, that's right, it can be yours for free when you place a $50 order.
But it's only available until March 31.
It's part of the annual #Sale-A-Bration:
 
To step up my stamping, I added some sewing.
A few free-motion stitches on top of those lotus blossoms
adds a nice touch of depth and dimension to an otherwise 'flat' surface.

 With just a few stitches, you can go from one-dimensional:

without stitching
To three-dimensional lotus blossoms:

I like to use the quilting foot (Bernina foot #29)
because it is clear and it has a nice amount of surface space
with an enclosed needle area
so my threads don't get caught on the presser foot toe.
Just drop the feed dogs, and use some stabilizer on the back
(I like OESD's Ultra Clean n' Tear)
with stitching
My thread color is Isacord #1730 (persimmon)
Then I took it a stitching step further and added
some Asian-inspired machine embroidery.

 This is a built-in design in my Bernina Designer Plus v7 embroidery software.
The thread is Isacord (#3953 & #3853)
To line up the embroidery design with the center of the stamped images,
fold the stamped image in half and finger press.
That gives the vertical center line-up point.
For horizontal line-up, I matched the bottom of the embroidery design
with the bottom of the stamped image.
Most embroidery software programs allow you to print
a copy of your design (use that to line up the design).
A water-soluble marker works great for marking the center point.
Be certain the stabilizer from your free-motion stitching
is still on the back of your project
and use your see through grid to line up the center point,
then hoop it and let your machine stitch away.

 For my fabric, I used an inexpensive tea towel from Wal Mart.
When your design is complete, tear away the stabilizer,
use a water bottle to lightly mist the water soluble ink, and let it dry.
I then added iron on non-show mesh to cover the back,
but feel free to use a light-weight fabric of your choice.
Just be aware that a dark color or print might show through to the front.
Then line it up in the hoop
in which you plan to display your new wall art
and trim away the excess fabric and backing.

Back of design covered with no-show mesh
Ta da!
That's how easy it is to add stitching to your stamping.
Enjoy your weekend, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment