Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Navy Wool Jacket


Yes, this is yet another version of Simplicity 2728!
The fabric is a fabulous Pendleton wool that was
gifted to me by my good friend, Linda.
As a matter of fact, Linda was kind enough to give
me a whole stack of Pendleton wools that she purchased
a number of years ago, but just doesn't have the time to sew.
Thank you so much Linda!!!
That wool was a dream to sew.
The white looking lines are not flaws in the material - it was raining!
I did add a few changes to this version.
One of those changes was the addition of sleeve heads.

Another change was to alter the pattern slightly to make the back hem
straight across rather than an inverted 'v' as the pattern is drafted.

The jacket is fully lined with navy bemberg rayon.

 As you can see by all the wrinkles,
I've worn this one a lot in the past couple weeks
and I've not yet had it dry cleaned.
So, wrinkled it is!
 The final change I made was to add the v-shaped pocket flaps.
Since I'm not a pocket fanatic, I didn't add pockets,
but the jacket was too plain without some kind of added dimension.
The pattern is drafted for a patch pocket,
which I thought was a bit too casual for this wool beauty.
So I dug into my pattern stash and came up with Butterick 5616.
I used the pocket flap pattern piece and
it's the perfect size for this jacket.
After sewing the top of the flap to the jacket,
I could tell it was going to flap around too much
and not stay flat against the jacket.
So I hand stitched the sides of the flap for about 1" on each side.
It worked like a charm.  :)
This jacket will serve me well throughout the winter.
It's a nice wardrobe basic that looks just as great
with jeans as it does with a skirt.
Until next time, my friends . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment