Friday, July 5, 2013

Burda Style City Dress




This pattern (Burda Style 04/2013 #108) was my attempt to try something different.  Am I pleased with the outcome?  Hmmmmmm, kind of.  The dress does look like the pattern photos, but unfortunately, I don't look like the pattern model!


I am wearing a belt with the dress, but it still hangs like a sack.  I prefer my dresses to have more emphasis at the waist and to be more fitted through the torso.  I knew going in that this pattern didn't have either of those preferences, but I just had to try something out of my comfort zone.  And now, my zone of comfort is to not wear this dress out and about.  But all is not a total loss.  I will wear it with flip flops when I'm hanging out at home.


Now on to something more my style.  Perhaps a cute button-up blouse, or a fitted-bodice, circle-skirted dress of some sort.

What about you, do you stick to the same styles when you sew for yourself?  Or do you venture into unknown territory?

Have an excellent weekend.

Pam

3 comments:

  1. I like your dress! Like you I prefer more fitted styles so when I sew and wear something different I don't feel comfortable in it. I think it looks good on you and it does not look like a sack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comment, Linda. It's always encouraging to hear from such a prolific sewer. :)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous fabric, Pam! That's the nice thing about sewing, you can sew a garment that will fit you better than RTW. Those "a-ha" moments when you figure out which patterns work and will not work. I know what you mean about certain styles that flatter and do not flatter (i.e. balloon-y or billow-y styles). BTW: I am looking forward to your next projects!

    ReplyDelete